10.05.2008

Find Joy in the Journey

I LOVE general conference. I've been so looking forward to this weekend for a while now and I am a little sad that it is over. I had a lot of favorite talks and I've learned so much in these last two days. Some of my favorites were Elder Holland's talk about angels, Elder Uchtdorf's talk about hope and Elder Cook's talk about trials. I love that Elder Cook quoted President Monson in his response to how members could help him, "find someone who is having a hard time and do something to help them." What a simple request.

My very favorite was President Monson's talk at the end of the Sunday morning session. He spoke about living for today and being less worried about the past and future. As I was listening to him speak I felt like he was talking directly to me. I've been praying all week that I would be able to get something out of conference and I didn't quite know what I was looking for until I heard it. Lately I've been thinking a lot about the future. I've always been what I guess you would call a dreamer. I don't like the unknown, so I make plans for myself. They are not always realistic plans, and I don't really get dissappointed if things don't happen how I planned them because things have always worked out to be the way I needed them to be, whether I wanted it that way or not. In his talk, President Monson said, "There will be no tomorrow to remember if we don't do something today." He also used the phrase "find joy in the journey." And so I've decided that is my new motto: Find Joy in the Journey. I will still be making plans because I think it is important to have goals and have some idea of where you're going and who you want to become, especially at my age, but I am going to try to worry less about tomorrow and focus on today.

I also was so happy that the choir sang Faith in Every Footstep. It is one of my favorite songs and I felt the spirit so strong while listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sing it.

I am so grateful that we have the opportunity to listen to our prophet. I love that the Lord is able to use his mouthpiece to speak to us. I LOVE general conference! :)

2 comments:

M + L said...

Wasn't is so good?! I always use to think that General Conference was somewhat boring, but this weekend was fabulous! I'm so glad I was able to watch all of the sessions and amazingly, NOT fall asleep :)

Brooke said...

I agree conference is sooo awesome and I'm sad it's over too! I also loved Holland's talk and I just love little Elder Wirthlin, he is so sweet. only 6 more months and we'll get to see them again, till then I will try to live for today as well