10.27.2008

Inaudible Melodies

Because I slept way too much this weekend, I am not the least bit tired right now. I've been laying in my bed trying to fall asleep- and failing miserably. So since I can't sleep, I think. My topic of thought tonight? Time.

I have:
-A month to complete this little gift for my grandparents that I haven't started. And because of clashing schedules with my sister and I, I can really only work on it on the weekends.
-19 months until Jeremy gets home.
-6 weeks to complete my online class (which I will no doubt wait until the last week possible to finish).
-Less than 48 hours to study for my chemistry test that I absolutely have to get an A on (wish me luck).
-5 days to figure out what in the world I am going to dress up as for Halloween.
-About 9 months to finish saving for a car.
-6 hours before I have to be in class

Yes, I am aware that some of those are more important than others. But as I was thinking all of those plus the few things I've planned for myself for this week that I'm not quite sure how I'm going to work out, I was getting overwhelmed. As I was throwing this little pity party for myself, a song called "You're Not Alone" from Chicago popped into my head. The line I was thinking of? "I don't mean to burst your bubble, but the world's got troubles worse than you." Well, yes. Yes it does.

Then I remembered that I hadn't checked my email all weekend. A little while ago I subscribed to the daily gems on lds.org (which I totally love and recommend to everyone) and when I clicked on the one from yesterday here is what I found:

"You need His help, and you know that you need His help. You cannot do it alone. You will come to realize that and recognize that more and more as the years pass. So live that in good conscience you can speak with the Lord. Get on your knees and thank Him for His goodness to you and express to Him the righteous desires of your hearts. The miracle of it all is that He hears. He responds. He answers--not always as we might wish He would answer, but there is no question in my mind that He answers."
-Gordon B. Hinckley

Coincidence? I think not. Pity party's over.

4 comments:

M + L said...

You forgot 46 DAYS until I come home! It's OK, I can tell who is on your priority list :P Whenever you have sleepless nights, you can always call me since I'm 3 hours behind you. I need to work on Grammy & Granddad's thing too! I'm so busy, I keep forgetting.

Jamie said...

Wait till you're a mother then multiply this by 100! You will rarely have time for a pity party. What would we do without Heavenly Father's help?

Winter said...

OH MY GOSH!! CASSIE!! I'm subscribed to daily gems too. I JUST read that one myself! I had the same feeling as you. Pity party = done. hahaha You know you've heard it a million times: "The Lord works in mysterious ways!" =]

Brooke said...

I like your thinking I think I'll jump off the pity party train too :)