4.04.2010

still fighting it

the other day my mom picked up my grammy and met lindsay and i for lunch. it's hard to do things like that because she no longer understands anything. when she talks, she rambles about nothing and what she says doesn't make sense. we have to laugh because if we don't, we'll cry. we were trying to get her to make a funny face but couldn't get her to hold it long enough for the camera to capture it. while we were laughing about it, grammy said, "this is the most fun i've had in a long time." and for those few seconds she didn't have alzheimer's anymore and we were laughing like we always do.

it's those moments of lucidity that make the rest of the time easier. because we're reminded that even though the disease has taken over, she's still in there somewhere.

3 comments:

M + L said...

Lunch was fun and it made me so happy when she told me that. She even grabbed my hand and thanked me. I told her I loved her and she said "Thank you." It was cute. And you're right...moments like that even if it is just for a small moment makes the entire time we are with her worth it.

Rachel said...

What a great post! She is looking more and more like papa to me. Such a classy lady that we all love! Can anyone take her out? I would love to spend time with her!

The Dobbins said...

Your blogging is seriously beautiful. I miss your wonderful face. I love you :)