5.04.2009

Let's Hear It For The Boy

Well, I am a miracle worker. I know, I know, big shocker. Tell you something you don't know. What I did may not seem like a big deal, but I am very proud of myself and I even got a "thanks for helping" from my dad. I am claiming all credit too. So, what happened? Connor decided to quit football. He has been telling us for weeks that he is not playing and we all told him he has to and that is dumb but he refused. Summer football (or Spring. I don't actually know but some form of it) started today and he went! Why? Because I convinced him that he should. When I told my dad he said "what did you say to him that I didn't?" Well, first of all, I am not his parent which automatically means he is more willing to listen to me. Second, I covered all the angles. He didn't have a real reason for quitting, he just didn't want to get up early all summer long and he wanted to be lazy. I told him that I went through 4 years of high school and didn't participate in one extra curricular activity and that I regretted it. He said he was still playing baseball. I told him baseball won't give him the body that football will. He laughed, but he knows I am right. He said his friend Hunter wasn't playing. I told him that was a ridiculous reason and that his other friend, Jesse still was so he wouldn't be alone. I told him my dad would be more lenient on him because if he sits on his butt all summer long that won't go over too well with either of my parents. He wanted to get a job. I explained that if my parents were willing to let him not work, then he should do it as long as he could and if next summer he wanted a job then he could get a summer job. (I also told him working sucks.) I told him he would regret quitting. Maybe not this year and maybe not next, but by his senior year he would have wished he had kept playing. I told him that if he could give me a legit reason for not wanting to play that had nothing to do with laziness then I would leave him alone and I would tell everyone else to leave him alone. And he couldn't come up with one. And I know what you're thinking, "what's the big deal?" The big deal is that our family waited 15 years and nine months for this kid to start high school football and no way was I going to let him quit after one year so he could sleep in this summer. So, no worries. Come September we will all enjoy seeing this againon the football field of Mesquite High School.

The kid will remain a stud. Crisis averted.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Way to go Cass! What would this family do without football to watch at all levels? Now. If you can just get him to clean his room and his bathroom and mow the lawn WITHOUT being asked 10 times I would greatly appreciate it! :)

M + L said...

Nice work sis! Now I'll get to watch my favorite brother on a high school football field, since I didn't get to last year since I was attending BYU Hawaii. I am amazed he listened to you. You must have been a different person talking ;) We don't quit in this family!

The Scott's said...

Cassie - You are so cute! I love reading your posts because I can totally see you saying them. That probably doesn't make sense but you make me laugh. It was fun to go to the movies the other night. Not a fun movie mind you, but always fun company. Love ya.